CFRC 101.9 FM Radio Queen’s University Is Seeking New Board Directors
The Radio Queen’s University Board of Directors invites applications from members of the Queen’s and wider Kingston Communities to fill four board positions, two commencing February 2023, two more commencing May 2023. From among these board positions, we also seek to appoint both a Board President and Treasurer.
CFRC’s mandate is to provide innovative and alternative radio programming that enriches and challenges the academic and cultural life of Queen’s University and Kingston communities, and to provide members with the opportunity to participate and gain skills and experience in the collective operation of a radio station whose programming and practices are not constrained by demands for profit.
CFRC’s mission is to empower and celebrate the diversity of Kingston and Queen’s through innovative, noncommercial, community-oriented radio programming and broadcast learning opportunities.
BOARD MEMBER ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Board has both a legal and fiduciary responsibility to carry out the mission and mandate of Radio Queen’s University (RQU) and ensure that the financial activities of the organization are both legal and in accordance with the government’s requirements.
Board member responsibilities include:
- Monitoring implementation and progress of RQU’s Strategic Plan and organizational policies with the overall goal of leading RQU toward prosperity and sustainability;
- Chairing, or participating in Board Committees such as HR; Finance; Marketing and Fundraising; Governance; and Accessibility;
- Supporting and nurturing opportunities for board recruitment and development;
- Reviewing agenda, minutes and other supporting materials prior to committee and Board meetings;
- Approving annual budgets and audit reports;
- Representing RQU to stakeholders and acting as an ambassador for our radio station and its value in and for the community;
Key Skills and Assets
We seek to appoint Board members with one or more of the following qualifications:
- Financial experience including budget development and forecasting, risk management, performance and sustainability tracking, internal controls, and reportage;
- Knowledge of Human Resources procedures and best practices
- Strategic planning and implementation
- Experience with governance and/or operations preferably in a non-profit context
- Experience with fund development, brand positioning and/or public engagement and relationship building
- Industry and regulatory experience and/or knowledge
CFRC 101.9 FM Radio Queen’s University actively encourages applications from individuals with historical or contemporary barriers to equity including, but not limited to Indigenous persons, persons with visible or invisible disabilities, and members of groups that experience systemic oppression and discrimination due to race, ancestry, gender, colour, sexual orientation, gender identity, spiritual beliefs or place of origin.
If you are interested in contributing your expertise and have a passion for community radio and community-building, please apply with a CV and cover letter detailing your relevant experience and interest in strengthening our organization by Sunday January 8th at 5 PM to
Attn: Radio Queen’s University Governance Committee
Email: [email protected]