MPP Randy Hillier not seeking Re-election

Randy Hillier, the controversial independent MPP for Lanark-Frontenac-Kingston, announced on Friday that he won't be seeking re-election in June. 

In an over 20 minute video, Hillier reiterates a number of points he has made throughout the pandemic, views that have often times brought the 63 year old to the center of controversy. 

The MPP now says he is ending his 15 year run representing the Lanark-Frontenac-Kingston region, because the "political system is broken".

"We have in effect been ruled by the mob for the last couple years," Hillier said.

"And I don't see that ending anytime soon."

Hillier continues that he has been condemned because he "dared to have a contrary view". 

The MPP says that he has now been frozen out from sharing the views of he and his constituents in legislature due to those condemnations. 

"It wasn't just the municipal councils that condemned me, it was not just the media parrots who condemn me," Hillier says in the video. 

"But also the Ontario Legislature has condemned me now on two occasions."

The last condemnation, over discriminatory remarks and social media posts deemed to be inciting violence, resulted in Ontario legislature unanimously voting to pass a motion banning Hillier from participating in the chamber.

Hillier has put himself at the center of headlines a number of times throughout the pandemic, after already being kicked out of the Conservative caucus by Doug Ford in 2019 over disrespectful comments towards parents of children with autism. 

He has been criticized on several occasions for spreading COVID-19 misinformation, including social media posts that used deceased individuals' photos and names, suggesting they had been harmed by the COVID vaccine without evidence.

Prior to that in September, Kingston MPP Ian Arthur requested an investigation into Hillier over complaints of Hillier using their personal information without their consent for partisan purposes.

He was charged for attending a gathering in Kemptville in April against pandemic restrictions, and has accused the provincial and federal governments of terrorism, a view repeated in Friday's video.

In a subsequent letter, Hillier says he will be returning to his "traditional roots of grassroots activism".

Story by Owen Fullerton, YGK News, for the Local Journalism Initiative

Showing 1 reaction

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.
  • Dinah Jansen
    published this page in News 2022-03-04 14:34:29 -0500