Grab your mittens, lace up your skates and join us for a New Year’s Eve celebration, K-Town Countdown presented by Panera Bread. Head on down to the INVISTA Centre on Saturday, Dec. 31 from 5 - 9 p.m. for fun activities for everyone, including skating, face-painting, a photobooth and many more! Admission is by donation with 100 per cent of proceeds to the Kingston Community Climate Action Fund. For additional details on the event, visit K-Town Countdown - City of Kingston. Later, join us for fireworks downtown (same location as Canada Day - Point Frederick) at 9 p.m. (the best viewing is at Confederation Park) made possible by Kingston Accommodation Partners.
Remember that City of Kingston and Utilities Kingston services and facilities will be affected by the holidays as outlined below.
New Year’s Holiday Green Bin, Garbage and Recycling Schedule
There is no collection on Monday, Jan. 2, 2023 (New Year’s Day). Collection occurs the day after your regular collection day. Sign up to receive collection reminders by phone, push notification or email.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC): The recycling depot, yard waste site and administration office will be closed on Jan. 2. Real Christmas trees (ornaments and tinsel removed) can be dropped off free-of-charge at KARC, 196 Lappan’s Lane.
- Two-Untagged Bag Reminder: Your household can put out two untagged bags or cans of garbage for your first collection day after New Year’s Day (the two-bag collection days are Jan. 3 – 7.)
Kingston Transit Schedule:
Plan your bus trip at KingstonTransit.
- New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31 – Regular service.
- New Year’s Day, Jan. 1 – No service.
Kingston Access Bus Services Schedule
- New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31 – Regular on-road service and hours. Office closes at 6 p.m.
- New Year’s Day, Jan. 1 – No on-road service. Office closed.
- Jan. 2 - Limited on-road service, regular hours. Office open 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Municipal Office/Facilities Schedules
- Administrative offices, including housing and social services on Montreal Street: Closed Jan. 2, 2023.
- Provincial Offences Court: Closed Jan. 2, 2023.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Jan. 2, 2023. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage or a water main break, call the Utilities Kingston 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. Hydro One electricity customers in the west and east ends can call 1-800-434-1235. Enbridge customers can call 1-877-969-0999. Reminder for customers on time-of-use pricing: for electricity used on weekends and holidays, prices are off-peak.
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library branches: Closed Dec. 31 to Jan. 2. The Kingston Secondary School library kiosk will be closed until Jan. 6. 2023. The library’s digital collections can be accessed 24/7 at www.kfpl.ca
Recreation Facilities: On Dec. 31, all facilities close at 4 p.m. other than INVISTA Centre, which will be open until 9 p.m. for the K-Town Countdown presented by Panera Bread
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Closed Jan. 1, 2023.
- INVISTA Centre: Closed Jan. 1, 2023
- Rideau Heights Community Centre: Closed Jan. 1, 2023.
- Kingston East Community Centre: Closed Jan 1, 2023. Kingston Grand Theatre Box Office: The Box Office will be closed Saturday, Dec. 31 until Monday, Jan. 2, 2023, and will reopen Tuesday, Jan. 3. Tickets and gift certificates are always available online at www.kingstongrand.ca.
- PumpHouse Museum: Closed throughout the holiday season and will re-open Thursday, Jan. 12, 2023.
- Tett Centre: Closed to the public until Jan. 3, 2023. (Check the Tett website for updates.)
Kingston Fire & Rescue reminds you: NEVER BURN wrapping paper or Christmas trees in your fireplace. They burn too hot and create creosote, which can cause chimney fires.