May 18, 2022
For many people, Victoria Day marks the unofficial start to summer. To help community members plan their long weekend, the City of Kingston has compiled a list of scheduling impacts and event ideas.
- Garbage, green bin and recycling: There is no collection on Monday. Collection occurs the day after your regular collection day. Sign-up to receive collection reminders by phone, push notification, or email.
- Kingston Transit: On Monday buses will follow a Sunday schedule.
- Kingston Access Services: Operates with limited service on Monday. Call 613-542-2512 for information.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre: Closed Monday.
- Administrative Offices, including housing and social services on Montreal Street and Provincial Offences: Closed Monday.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Friday afternoon and all-day Monday. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage or a water main break, call the Utilities Kingston 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. Hydro One electricity customers in the west and east ends can call 1-800-434-1235. Enbridge customers can call 1-877-969-0999. Reminder for customers on time-of-use pricing: for electricity used on weekends and holidays prices are off-peak.
- Arenas, INVISTA Centre (including Fitness & Wellness Centre), Rideau Heights Community Centre & Library, Kingston East Community Centre and CaraCo Home Field: Closed Monday.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Programs and services will not be provided on Monday. The site will be open as an advanced polling station for the 2022 Ontario Provincial Election.
- Libraries: Closed Monday. Services and digital collections can be accessed online. Don’t have a library card? Register online.
- Portsmouth Olympic Harbour and Confederation Basin marinas: Open.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed Sunday and Monday. Open regular hours on Saturday.
- PumpHouse Museum: Closed Monday.
- Tett Centre: Closed on Monday. Open Saturday and Sunday, following a regular schedule.
Events and tips:
Spring into Summer presented by Utilities Kingston: On Saturday, attend a free family event at Lake Ontario Park. The fun starts at 1 p.m. with daytime activities, live music. The day concludes with fireworks at 9 p.m. See full event details. Come see us - The City of Kingston’s Finance Team will have a pop-up booth at Spring into Summer to promote its public engagement on the 2023 City budgets. Plan to stop by!
Backyard fires and fireworks: Kingston Fire & Rescue (KFR) reminds all residents that they must obtain a free open-air fire permit. Residents are required to read and comply with the full list of regulations.
KFR also encourages all residents to attend the fireworks display at Lake Ontario Park on Saturday, rather than having a display at home. This is a safer and more economical option. People who decide to set off fire works must comply with the manufacturer’s instructions (found on packaging) and are asked to read safety guidelines.
The City of Kingston wishes all residents a safe and happy long weekend, and thanks people who will be working this weekend to keep our community running.