Some of Kingston’s local women in need will receive an extra act of
kindness this holiday season.
Imagine leaving your home with only a few belongings, in order to make a
fresh start. This is what many women face when choosing to leave an
abusive situation. That's why Kingston Basketeers is helping create and
collect thoughtful gift baskets for women making the transition from a
shelter to a new home.
The Kingston chapter of Basketeers is asking the community to provide
some of the simple necessities and niceties of life, bundled in a
basket. The laundry-sized baskets should be filled with new items in
either a personal or household theme. (Keeping these in separate baskets
allows them to be more easily distributed based on individual
circumstances.) Each basket donated will go to a survivor of
gender-based violence to help in her new beginning.
Basketeers is also accepting cash contributions which will be used to
purchase gift card bundles to help these women acquire crucial personal
or household items.
“This holiday season, I know Kingston Basketeers will make a big
difference in the lives of women who are preparing to make a new start
after transitioning from violence to a shelter. I love to see friends
and families coming together to create these baskets which are really
symbols of hope for at-risk women.”
– Claire LaPlante, Chapter Lead, Kingston Basketeers
The Basket Drop-Off Day event will take place at the INVISTA CENTRE on
Saturday, November 19, 2022 from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Donors are invited to
bring their registered, fully-wrapped baskets to the drop-off.
• Each year violence and abuse drive more than 100,000 women and
children out of their homes and into shelters.
• Basketeers has been helping women transition to new beginnings for
more than 20 years.
• Kingston Basketeers is in its 4th year of helping at-risk women.
• Kingston Basketeers is partnering with Kingston Interval House to
distribute the baskets and gift cards to the women they support.
• To register a basket go to https://basketeers.org/basket/register.
• To contribute a cash donation, send an e-transfer to
• *Tax receipts will not be provided as Baskteteers is not a registered