Kingston – Dr. Piotr Oglaza, Medical Officer of Health KFL&A Public Health declares COVID-19 community spread in Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington.
Community spread happens when there are many positive COVID-19 cases and clusters of positive COVID-19 cases in our community, which cannot be accounted for by known exposures.
In order to slow or stop community spread and new infections, everyone in our community must continue to practice infection prevention measures. All residents, are asked to take all necessary precautions to protect themselves and others by following all public health precautions such as:
• Get fully vaccinated.
• Limit indoor social gatherings
• Stay two metres apart and wear a mask in indoor public spaces or any time physical distancing is not possible.
• Stay home, isolate, and get tested if you have any symptoms of COVID-19, even if you are vaccinated. KFL&A COVID-19 assessment centres are offering a less invasive swab for children to help ease the testing experience.
In an effort to identify and curb the spread of COVID-19, testing is available at:
• Beechgrove Complex, in Kingston by appointment only. Book a testing appointment online or by telephone at 613-548-2376.
• LACGH Westdale Campus in Napanee, by appointment only. Pre-register to book a test or call before visiting: 613-354-8254
• Mobile vaccine and testing clinic locations (walk in only)
o Tuesday, Nov. 16 - St. Francis of Assisi Catholic School parking lot, from 1 to 3:30 p.m.
o Wednesday, Nov. 17 - Yonge St. near Johnston St., from 1 to 3:30 p.m.
o Thursday, Nov. 18 - Belle Park parking lot, from 1 to 3:30 p.m.
“It is crucial for all residents of KFL&A to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19. If symptoms develop, you should isolate right away. Only leave isolation to visit an assessment centre to be tested for COVID-19,” says Dr. Oglaza, Medical Officer of Health at KFL&A Public Health. “Unfortunately, our case investigations show that individuals are not always following public health guidance and are ignoring symptoms and delaying testing. This puts everyone in the community at risk. If you feel sick, or even if you just have mild symptoms, make the responsible choice and get tested to protect yourself and your community."
Symptoms of COVID-19 include:
• Fever 37.8 degrees Celsius and over
• Cough or worsening cough
• Muscle aches, joint pain and tiredness
• Difficulty breathing (shortness of breath)
• Runny nose
• Gastrointestinal symptoms (e.g., nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea)
Those who have tested positive, are symptomatic, or have been identified as high-risk contacts by KFL&A Public Health are reminded that self-isolating as directed by public health is a legal requirement.
Get fully vaccinated as soon as possible!
Getting fully vaccinated is an effective way to prevent the spread and reduce the impact of COVID-19. Along with mobile clinics and pharmacies, vaccine clinics at Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, the Cataraqui Centre and KFL&A Public Health's Napanee office are open and offering vaccinations by appointment or walk-in. For more information on clinic locations, hours, appointments, and third dose eligibility, visit KFL&A Public Health’s website or call 343-477-0172. Do not delay, get fully vaccinated today!
For the most up to date information on COVID-19 vaccine clinics and COVID-19, visit Kflaph.ca/Vaccine or Ontario.ca/coronavirus.