December 15, 2020
City of Kingston services and facilities will be affected by the holidays as outlined below.
Christmas and New Year’s Holiday Green Bin, Garbage and Recycling Schedule
There is no collection on Dec. 25 or Jan. 1. If Friday is your normal collection day, please put your garbage, recycling and Green Bin out on Sunday, Dec. 27 and Saturday, Jan. 2 instead.
Two-Untagged Bag Reminder: Your household can put out two untagged bags or cans of garbage for your first collection day after New Year’s Day (the two-bag collection days are Jan. 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7).
Never Miss Collection Day: Go to CityofKingston.ca/Collection to sign-up to receive collection reminders by phone, text or email. They keep track of holiday changes for you. The City also offers a FREE “Kingston Waste” app for use on your Apple or Android device.
Kingston Transit Schedule
Plan your bus trip at www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner.
- Christmas Eve, Dec. 24 – Regular weekday service.
- Christmas Day, Dec. 25 – No service.
- Boxing Day, Dec. 26 – Sunday service.
- New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31 – Regular weekday service.
- New Year’s Day, Jan. 1 – No service.
Kingston Access Bus Services Schedule
- Christmas Eve, Dec. 24 – Regular on-road service and hours. Office closes at 6 p.m.
- Christmas Day, Dec. 25 – No on-road service. Office closed.
- Boxing Day, Dec. 26 – Limited on-road service, 6 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Office opens 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31 – Regular on-road service and hours. Office closes at 6 p.m.
- New Year’s Day, Jan. 1 – No on-road service. Office closed.
Municipal Office/Facilities Schedules
- Administrative offices, including housing and social services on Montreal Street: Closed Dec. 24, 25, 28 and Jan. 1.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closes at noon on Dec. 24 and 31 and remains closed on Dec. 25, 28 and Jan. 1. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage or a water main break, call the Utilities Kingston 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. Hydro One electricity customers in the west and east ends can call 1-800-434-1235. Enbridge customers can call 1-877-969-0999. Reminder for customers on time-of-use pricing: for electricity used on weekends and holidays, prices are off-peak.
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library branches: Closed Dec. 24 to 27 and Dec. 31 to Jan. 1.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Closed Dec. 24, 25 and 26 and Jan. 1. Front desk remains open until 12 p.m. on Dec. 31.
- INVISTA Centre: Closed Dec. 24, 25 and 26 and Jan. 1. The fitness centre closes at 2 p.m. on Dec. 31, but the front desk remains open until 6 p.m. on Dec. 31.
- Rideau Heights Community Centre and Library: Closed Dec. 21 to Jan. 3. The Rideau Height Library Branch will be open for curbside pick-up 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Dec. 21 and 28.
- Cataraqui Community Centre (Kinsmen and Cataraqui rinks): Closed Dec. 21 to Jan. 3.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: phones are answered Monday to Friday from 12-5 p.m. through Dec. 18. Tickets and gift certificates are always available online at www.kingstongrand.ca. Responses to voicemail and emails sent to [email protected] will be offered Dec.19 to Jan. 3.
- PumpHouse Museum: closed from Dec. 20 to Jan. 5. YGKMuseumFromHome downloadable activity pages are available to explore anytime at www.kingstonpumphouse.ca/learn-explore
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC): Closed Dec. 25, 26 and Jan. 1. Christmas trees can be dropped off free-of-charge at KARC, 196 Lappan’s Lane.
- Tett Centre: closed to the public Dec. 24 to 26 and 31 and Jan. 1.
- Heritage Resource Centre: closed from Dec. 23 through Jan. 5.
Kingston Fire & Rescue reminds you: NEVER BURN wrapping paper or Christmas trees in your fireplace. They burn too hot and create creosote, which can cause chimney fires.