April 7, 2021
From the City of Kingston: Stay home as much as possible, stay safe and shop local.
Today, the Ontario Government declared a State of Emergency and issued a four-week stay-at-home order, which comes into effect on 12:01 a.m. April 8. Review the list, below, to see how popular City facilities and services are affected and choose online and phone options to connect with the City to avoid unnecessary trips.
Please stay home as much as possible, stay safe and shop locally to support Kingston businesses while the stay-at-home order is in place.
Garbage and recycling service changes
- Garbage and recycling collection and bag limits remain unchanged.
- Garbage bag tags may be ordered online, or found at some local retailers.
- The Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC) will operate with reduced hours: Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (closed Saturdays).
- The Household Hazardous Waste Depot is closed. Service will resume after shutdown.
- The Leaf and Yard waste drop-off will continue to operate Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The administrative office at KARC will be closed and its counter services will be provided electronically.
- Replacement Blue and Grey Boxes and Green Bins will not be available during the shutdown.
- Giveaway Day on April 17 is cancelled.
Renew Kingston Transit passes online
- Passengers using monthly passes may renew them online at CityofKingston.ca/Pay.
- Kingston Transit passes will not be available for purchase or renewal at City Hall, but are available at other sales outlets that provide essential services (see list of retailers at CityofKingston.ca/residents/transit/fares).
- Appointments at City Hall for new monthly bus pass photo identification may be made on Tuesdays and Thursdays by calling 613-546-4291 ext. 1240 or by emailing [email protected].
- Kingston Transit continues to operate at a reduced service level. Review the transit schedules online.
Pay parking tickets online
Payments for parking tickets or parking permit renewals can be made online at CityofKingston.ca/pay.
City Hall and 1211 John Counter Blvd. closed to public
- City Hall and the Payment Centre, 216 Ontario St., will be closed as of April 8. Payments can be made through online banking, through your financial institution and using the drop boxes at City Hall or 1211 John Counter Boulevard.
- For taxation or other payments by mail, send a cheque to: City of Kingston – Taxation PO Box 640, Kingston, ON, K7L 4X1. For utility payments by mail, send a cheque to: Utilities Kingston – PO Box 790, Kingston, ON, K7L 4X7
- Marriage licences or Commissioner of Oaths are available by appointment in the case of emergency end of life situations by calling 613-546-4291 ext. 1270 or emailing [email protected].
- Planning, building, licensing and enforcement services will continue to be offered by staff electronically or by phone. Explore CityofKingston.ca for service-specific details or call Customer Experience at 613-546-0000.
Outdoor recreation amenities, parks and trails remain open
Outdoor recreation amenities including public trails and playgrounds remain open for safe enjoyment and exercise. Any person who enters or uses an outdoor recreation amenity must maintain a 2-metre physical distance from others (excluding members of the same household).
COVID-19 Vaccine clinic at the INVISTA Centre remains open
The COVID-19 Vaccine clinic at the INVISTA Centre remains open for booked appointments. Residents are reminded to park at the south end of the INVISTA Centre and access the clinic through the south entrance. KFL&A Public Health asks residents to not arrive more than 10 minutes before their appointments and to wait in their vehicles or outside (maintain 2 metres of physical distance from others). For more information about booking an appointment visit the KFL&A Public Health website.
Find answers to frequently asked questions about COVID-19 on KFL&A Public Health’s site: www.kflaph.ca/en/healthy-living/novel-coronavirus.aspx
Stay up-to-date with the City’s COVID-19 precautions at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Resident/COVID-19