April 20, 2021
The City of Kingston has extended congratulations to students upon completing another academic year and reminds them to make sure they have a plan to make their move out of Kingston and back home for the summer a smooth, neat and safe experience.
The City has conveyed a number of steps for students to take during the move out process. See below.
- Consider how COVID-19 affects your move-out plans.
- Stagger your move-out times to allow for physical distancing and limit the number of helpers on-site. Remember: KFL&A Public Health’s Section 22 Order remains in place through April 30 and prohibits groups of five or more from gathering inside or outside.
- Wipe down touch points with a disinfectant and make sure everyone washes their hands before and after moving items (move the items not germs!). Wear masks to protect anyone outside your household who is helping you.
- Close your Utilities Kingston account. A minimum of five business days are necessary to ensure the account is closed on the date requested. You can do this online or by phone at 613-546-0000, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Hydro One electricity customers can call 1-800-434-1235. Enbridge customers can call 1-888-774-3111).
- Dispose of any unwanted items properly. Not sure where it goes? Use the City’s Waste Lookup tool.
- Drop them off at paid disposal sites. These locations charge a fee for waste disposal. Items brought to them end up in landfill.
- Waste Management, 62 St. Remy Pl., 613-549-7401 ext. 252. Open Monday to Friday 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Waste Connections of Canada, 1266 McAdoo’s Lane, 613-548-4428. Open Monday to Friday. Call ahead for hours of operation.
- Be a good neighbour! Be mindful of the property standards and solid waste bylaws and leave your property clean. The Yard and Streets and Property Standards bylaws require yards to be free of any garbage or debris. There will be bylaw officers enforcing these laws so do the smart thing and plan ahead.
Learn more about these bylaws and how to comply by visiting: www.CityofKingston.ca/Students.