October 5, 2021
Planning a Thanksgiving celebration this weekend? KFL&A Public Health recommends the following precautions to keep your Thanksgiving holiday safe and to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community:
- Keep your gathering small.
- Take your gathering outdoors or let the outdoors in by opening windows in your home to allow fresh air in and increase air circulation.
- Limit travel and connect virtually with extended family and friends.
- Monitor for symptoms and get tested.
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Give thanks and get your COVID-19 vaccine shot. Immunization appointments and walk-in clinics are still available. Find a full list of clinics running over the holiday weekend on KFL&A Public Health website.
The Thanksgiving holiday on Monday, Oct. 11 will create some schedule changes to municipal and utility services:
- Garbage, Green Bin and recycling: No collection Monday and collection moves to the day after your normal pick-up day for the rest of the week. Sign-up to be reminded what to put out when at www.CityofKingston.ca/Collection. The Kingston Area Recycling Centre is also closed Monday.
- Kingston Transit: All buses will run on a Sunday schedule on Monday. Plan your bus trip with Google Transit: www.KingstonTransit.ca/TripPlanner.
- Kingston Access Services: Operates with limited service Monday. Call 613-542-2512.
- Administrative offices: All administrative offices, including housing and social services and provincial offences, are closed Monday.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Monday. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage or a water main break, call the Utilities Kingston 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. Hydro One electricity customers in the west and east ends can call 1-800-434-1235. Enbridge customers can call 1-866-763-5427. A reminder that consumers on time-of-use electricity pricing: for electricity used on weekends and holidays – like Thanksgiving Day, Oct. 11 – prices are off-peak.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre, INVISTA Centre/ Fitness & Wellness Centre, Rideau Heights Community Centre, CaraCo Home Field and arenas: Closed Monday.
- Libraries: All branches of the Kingston Frontenac Public Library are closed Monday.
- Confederation Basin and Portsmouth Olympic Harbour marinas: The Confederation Basin Marina office is open. The fueling stations are open at Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, but the office will be closed Monday.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- PumpHouse Museum: Open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday. Closed Sunday and Monday.
- Tett Centre for Creativity and Learning: Closed Monday