It’s Waste Reduction Week and the City is challenging you to reduce your household’s waste by participating in Giveaway Day this Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. On Giveaway Day you are invited to put out reusable items you no longer want for your neighbours who might like them.
“Participating in Giveaway Day is a great way to mark Waste Reduction Week, because it helps divert items from landfill. When people find Giveaway Day items they can use, they are also reducing the packaging and greenhouse gas emissions associated with buying new items,” says Adam Mueller, Acting Supervisor of Solid Waste.
Giveaway Day comes near the end of Waste Reduction Week, Oct. 18 to 24. Watch the City’s social media accounts for waste reduction tips this week and share pictures of your waste-reduction ideas – and your Giveaway Day items – on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #WasteNotYGK.
Giveaway Day Guidelines
Only set out appropriate items that you know someone else might want.
- Appropriate: books, CDs, DVDs, furniture and small appliances, electronics, construction materials (including drywall, lumber, hardware), kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans and, yes, unwanted gifts.
- Inappropriate: the Consumer Product Safety Bureau of Health Canada advises that these items should not be given away (or picked-up): baby walkers, cribs, car seats, strollers, playpens, bath seats, mattresses, blinds and toys.
How to put items out:
- Place items at the curb in front of your home.
- Place stickers or signs on the items with the word ‘FREE.'
- Ensure any items that you do not want taken are kept away from items placed at the curb.
- At the end of the day, bring any uncollected items back in to your home. The City will not collect unwanted items left at the curb. Consider donating them to a local charity.
How to pick items up:
- Respect other people's property: don't walk on people's lawns or gardens.
- Take only the items marked ‘FREE' and placed at the curb.
- Don't leave previously picked up items on the curb at other people's property.
Find these guidelines at www.CityofKingston.ca/Giveaway.