We're Hiring a Summer Studio Sessions Coordinator
Want to be a part the Canada’s oldest campus community radio station? Interested in arts and music festivals? Disappointed that COVID has forced so many great events and festivals to cancel this summer? Want to help local musicians share their music through live performance and interviews on your own radio show? Choose CFRC 101.9 FM for your Canada Summer Job!!
CFRC Radio at Queen's University is currently seeking an outgoing, enthusiastic Broadcast Producer/Summer Studio Sessions Coordinator to research, tech and produce two weekly half-hour broadcasts (or one one hour broadcast) and podcasts dedicated to local arts and music in Kingston, to assist in the research and production of our weekly 2-minute audio Community Events Calendar that airs twice daily each summer, and to develop and produce new public service announcements for our airwaves. Don’t have a lot of broadcast experience?! Don’t be daunted--we will train you!
AS OUR Summer Studio Sessions Coordinator, YOU WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- identifying and performing research on upcoming local music, arts and culture events, exhibitions, theatrical productions, concerts and festivals that have 'gone virtual' this summer in Kingston;
- identifying and performing research on participating organizers, collaborators, artists, artisans and musicians;
- conducting and recording interviews with these participants;
- conducting and recording/broadcasting live in-studio music performances and social media feeds
- drafting and editing script copy for approval by Program Coordinator;
- performing studio rehearsal and sound check for each recording & live broadcast;
- voicing and recording approved copy with interviews and soundbites;
- editing and mastering final episode productions;
- transfering audio files to supervisor for broadcast and podcast deployment through existing platforms with CFRC Radio;
- transcribing complete episodes and submitting to Station Manager for approval;
- write social media blasts and submit to Station Manager to promote upcoming episodes and blog/podcast installments;
- research and write copy for the 2 minute- weekly audio community events calendar (CEC) and 1-2 new PSAs (public service announcements);
- submit CEC and PSA drafts to Program Coordinator for approval;
- edit, rehearse and record 2 minute CEC for deployment each week plus 1-2 PSAs.
THIS POSITION IS A PART OF THE CANADA SUMMER JOBS PROGRAM WITH FUNDING PROVIDED BY SERVICE CANADA. CANDIDATES MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS TO BE CONSIDERED:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person on whom refugee protections has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Be legally entitled to work according to relevant provincial legislation and regulations (international students on a work/study permit are not eligible for the Canada Summer Jobs Program)
INTERESTED IN APPLYING? OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL ALSO HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- be enrolled in or have completed a secondary or post-secondary diploma/degree program.
- Have job and/or volunteer background in arts, outreach, communications, public relations and/or media
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication/follow-up with artists, organizers, event attendees, station staff and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Be a highly motivated self-starter
- Have demonstrable organizational skills
- Have demonstrable ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Be team-oriented and flexible with work hours
- Commitment to working in and promoting a diverse, socially inclusive environment
This position is an excellent Canada Summer Job opportunity. The anticipated start date for this position is June 29th for eight (8) weeks at 35 hours per week ending August 28th 2020. This may include evenings and weekends. Compensation: $15.00/hour.
Location: CFRC 101.9 FM, 62 Fifth Field Company Lane, Carruthers Hall, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6.
Please submit a Cover Letter and CV in one PDF document to the Station Manager, Dinah Jansen at [email protected]. Application deadline is June 21st at 5 PM EST firm. Only those applicants considered for interview will be contacted.